diabetes

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

burningredphoenix
Garter
Garter

diabetes

Post by burningredphoenix » Tue May 04, 2010 8:29 pm

ok so i keep hearing about all these websites sayign there are lifestyle changes one can make so you wont have to take insulin anymore....what i want to know is how is this even possible if insulin is required for glucose uptake in cells?

jwalin
Coral
Coral

Post by jwalin » Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 am

are u sure that insulin is required for glucose uptake into cell?
from what i have heard
insulin is required to only increase the uptake.
not for general
generally glucose can move in by diffussion.....
though i dont know
but it has to be so
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed May 05, 2010 7:08 am

You must realize there is a difference between type I and type II diabetes. For type I diabetes, you must take insulin for the rest of your life since the beta cells in your pancreas are destroyed and thus you do not secrete any insulin, which is absolutely vital for glucose metabolism. Type I diabetes is an autoimmune disease.

The type II diabetes, however, means that your pancreas does produce insulin but the target tissues have become resistant for normal or even elevated levels of insulin in the blood. Thus you have to take extra insulin to make it work. This kind of diabetes can often be effectively treated by lifestyle changes - notably by reducing obesity. Thus, type II diabetes is primarily a lifestyle disease.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Insulin only affects glucose uptake for storage purposes - that reduces glucose levels in the blood so that other cells don't absorb it (which they don't obviously need insulin for) and "crank up" their metabolisms.