Creating or modifying viruses

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

darkreligion
Garter
Garter

Creating or modifying viruses

Post by darkreligion » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 pm

Are there any ways for creating and modefying viruses?
I mean do any method on virus creation exists. And where can i read detailed information about it? WIth little formula example on virus creation or its structural change.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: Creating or modifying viruses

Post by JackBean » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:03 pm

if you mean to create virus de novo, than look for HIV. Some people say, that it's actually human-made ;)

But there are of course ways, how to modify viruses and they are used on daily basis
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

Jillo725
Garter
Garter

Post by Jillo725 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:53 pm

viruses are modified all the time! just look at vaccinia. it's a non-pathogenic virus that we insert antigenic genes into. the virus particle then produces the antigen and we put the virus in a human host. without getting infected by anything, the human will get an immune response in the cell-mediated form and the humoral form. very very very effective. probably the most effective and safe type of vaccine. very cool too.

but from scratch i think is way beyond our technology now. We're just fumbling around in the dark right now.

The people who believe HIV was human made doesn't do the research on scientific techniques. We couldn't even modify viruses back then. All we could do was expose organisms to mutagens and screen a whole bunch to see if it happened the way we wanted. Fumbling in the dark as always =p
"There is no adequate defense, except stupidity, against the impact of a new idea."
— Percy Williams Bridgman, US physicist