Avascular Moss

Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Rebeccat478
Garter
Garter

Avascular Moss

Post by Rebeccat478 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Why are mosses considered to be non-vascular plants? I know it has something to do with their vascular tissue. But what? I've spent 2 hours in my book and I can't find it.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:20 pm

Do u know what plant vascular tissue means? Mosses do not have any xylem or phloem so they are avascular
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

th1_rhs13
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by th1_rhs13 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:58 pm

Avascular.

Mossses are also bryophytes, they have Rhizodes which aren't true roots. Thus, Avascular.

Increase your reading skills, or play with sites dictionary.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:35 am

Just a little bit correction:

Avascular plant is a plant that does not have vascular bundles (xylem, pholem) for their trasportation system. Mosses are avascular because they just us modified parenchymes to do this job as they don't have those bundles.

Avascular plant is NOT a plant that does not have true root! That's not a proper definition. You should make a good definition by looking the etimology of the term.
- If a plant does not have true root (radix) and just rhizoid, it is called as thallus
- If a plant does have true root, it is called as cormus.

_at_ MOD: Would someone please change the title thus match to the content? Thank you.

th1_rhs13
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by th1_rhs13 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:52 am

Thanks for clearing that up. Botany is not my focal pont, I thought I could comment on the matter but I stand corrected.

BasicBiology
Garter
Garter

Post by BasicBiology » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:01 am

Mosses are considered to be non-vascular plants because they lack xylem and phloem. The phloem and xylem are used to transport fluids and gases through vascular plants. Instead, in mosses, water is transported by cell-to-cell diffusion and this inefficient way to transport fluid limits the height and environments that mosses can survive in (mosses are only found in moist environments).

There is a brief overview of mosses here - http://basicbiology.net/plants/lycophytes/mosses.php
Adam Purcell
Basic Biology

http://basicbiology.net