Mixing two concentrations to get different final concs

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Liya
Garter
Garter

Mixing two concentrations to get different final concs

Post by Liya » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:34 am

Ok so I need to create a solution by adding two solutions together with different concentrations.

The final volume needs to be 100 microlitres. So the first solution is a drug whose concentration needs to be 100 micromoles (uM) and this needs to be mixed in with the second solution whose concentration needs to be 4 millimolar.

I think that say if I mix 50 uL of the 0.1 uM first solution with 50uL of the 4mM other solution, the end concentrations of each solution will not be 0.1 uM and 4mM respectively? i think that it will halve right?

So I am wondering how I can put a specific volume or concentration of each of the two solutions initially but in the end after mixing them together keep their respective concentrations as 0.1uM and 4mM?.....

Do I need to add double the end concentration initially?

Would appreciate any help and thanks in advance:)

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:46 am

So you have two different drugs, right? In such case you must prepare solutions with higher concentrations or prepare them originally into one solution.

If you're talking about one drug, you can't have two concentrations in one solution of course.
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Think of it in terms of how much solute total you'd need in your final solution with respect to volume.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Liya
Garter
Garter

Re: Mixing two concentrations to get different final concs

Post by Liya » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:32 am

Yes it is 2 concentrations. Is there a formula or something I can use? So what i have is one concentration for one drug and another concentration for the other drug. Both these need to be specific end concentrations for each of the drugs and in a specific medium...

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:12 am

why don't you do just one solution?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.