Pancreas transplant

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Pancreas transplant

Post by TheVirus » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:52 pm

I've read in many articles that pancreas transplant, e.g. for diabetics, are not performed unless necessary because they are extrmely dangerous, but i couldn't get a concrete answer as regards why.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:37 pm

It would be pointless for diabetics - Type 1 is autoimmune, and you might just as well treat it with anti-rejection drugs and forget the transplant, and most Type 2's wouldn't be affected.

I know that in other mammals, a pancreas is a highly variable organ, sometimes one piece, sometimes many, but I don't know if that's the basis for the transplant issue. It is full of digestive enzymes, which could be a problem during transplant...

StephenJones1
Garter
Garter

Re: Pancreas transplant

Post by StephenJones1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Hi,

A pancreas transplant is an organ transplant that involves implanting a healthy pancreas into a person who usually has diabetes. Because the pancreas is a vital organ, performing functions necessary in the digestion process, the recipient's native pancreas is left in place, and the donated pancreas is attached in a different location. In the event of rejection of the new pancreas which would quickly cause life-threatening diabetes, the recipient could not survive without the native pancreas still in place.

Thanks
Last edited by JackBean on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spam removed