Fever

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Fever

Post by TheVirus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 am

How high should a fever be to kill an adult person by itself (i mean that for the fever to kill the person, not whatever is causing it)? Please answer in degrees Celsius.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 am

I do not know the exact temperature, but as far as I know temperatures close to or bit above +41 degrees require immediate medical care. I do not recall hearing anyone having +42 C fever.

jwalin
Coral
Coral

Post by jwalin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:24 am

most probably people die at 109 to 110 degree farenheit
so when we convert it to celsius we get 41.11 to 41.66
but i think theres always a range over which people die... different people die at different temperature but i think the above will suit your purpose
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm

from 39 or 40°C your brain will be damaged, but I'm not sure, how much lethal is it
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:19 pm

Thank you all. By the way, when "a fever kills you", does it kill you kill you or does it just brain-kill you? (apologize for the repeated unnecessary use of the word "kill").
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:02 am

High fever prevents enzymes from working properly. Different tissues react in different ways to this. For example, epithelium and muscle can tolerate much higher temperatures for longer times than, say, the central nervous system.

So I guess one could say that very high fever kind of brain-kills you, though the actual cause of death can be something like a severe cramp or respiratory/circulatory failure due to impaired control by the nervous system.

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Oh, got it. Thanks
~Charles Darwin