serum starvation

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jasmina
Garter
Garter

serum starvation

Post by jasmina » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 am

hi there :D
When i do experiments, some experiments need starvation, but starvation protocols are different.
FOR NFATc1, i used 0.5%FBS treatment at least 12hrs, but for pp38, i used 0.1%FBS treatment for 2hrs. I am confused about this, why could not we use same treatment, anyone who can help me? thank you in advance. :)

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:21 am

not sure, what are you really talking about, but IMHO is the difference, whether your gene (as I understood) is of fast or slow response
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:32 am

Like with many other protocols, they've been probably created by different scientists in different labs with different cells. It is even possible that both methods could work for both cells, but the more likely explanation is that the cells simply react differently when living under serum starvation (so the underlying reason is different genetics).

You are likely to notice that in biology almost everything can be done in several ways. In PCR, your annealing temperatures can be different, when running gels you can use different agarose concentrations, when culturing cells you could do it in 5% human AB serum or 10% FB serum and so on.

Serum starvation is just another such procedure. Usually the truth is that the optimal FBS concentration for a given cell line is, for example, something like 0.13452% for 2.07 hrs but someone got good enough results with 0.1% and 2 hrs and published that, after which everybody else started to use the same concentration...

jasmina
Garter
Garter

Post by jasmina » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 am

To biohazard
thank you so much! O(∩_∩)O~