Differences:Cloning vs sub-cloning

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

doctobe
Garter
Garter

Differences:Cloning vs sub-cloning

Post by doctobe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 am

Okay do DNA cloning is ability to construct recombinant DNA molecules and maintain them in cells. Right.

A DNA insert that was cut with restriction enzymes is inserted into a plasmid vector also digested with the same restriction enzymes. Then the plasmid vector is transformed into bacterial cells. The vector usually has selectable marker such as ampicillin resistance gene that when plated in the presence of ampicillin will survive/produce colonies while others will die.

That is my definition of DNA cloning.

What is subcloning?

doctobe
Garter
Garter

Post by doctobe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Good amount of views and no replies? I even gave my definition. Open to correction , anything.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:42 pm

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/subclone

views doesn't mean much, we have robots looking through all our posts(not kidding).
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

doctobe
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by doctobe » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:10 pm

mith wrote:http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/subclone

views doesn't mean much, we have robots looking through all our posts(not kidding).

Thank you. I think this helps more. I didn't realize wiki also had a dictionary. Wikipedia's definition for subcloning was my definition for cloning.

I was also having trouble understanding it in relation to a recombinant. A recombinant DNA is often a product of cloning and then often subcloned into other particles. SOme definitions could use some reference points. Especially when things begin to overlap.

Some people use them interchangeably.

(what robots?)