Help with video game concept

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Varine
Garter
Garter

Help with video game concept

Post by Varine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:01 am

Okay to start off with, past my tenth grade biology class that I barely passed, I haven't study any kind of physical sciences, which is why I'm looking for some help.

I'm working with an indie team of developers on a video game, and basically the premise of it resides around a failed attempt to copy an alien lifeform into humans. What we need help with is making it make any kind of sense, or at the very least making it sound like it makes sense which is more important.

Anyway, basically the aliens live in a planet that's atmosphere is mostly methane with carbon dioxide, and when they use a kind of photosynthesis with the CO2 to convert it to carbohydrates which allow them to live. We came to that conclusion because that's what plants do, and the idea is that then one of the human governments takes it over and does experiments there to make it so that they can breed humans like that for military uses and some other stuff.

So that's kind of it. None of us actually know anything about photosynthesis other than plants use CO2 and the sunlight, we tried to look it up on Google but we weren't smart enough to understand any of the pages. But in theory, would that be remotely possible, or like I said, more importantly if the game went over that in passing would it seem like it made sense and we knew what we were talking about? That's all we care about is not looking stupid.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 am

so you're just asking, whether it is possible for them to photosynthesize? Yes, for some alies, that could be possible...
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:55 am

who cares if it's stupid if a game is fun.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

Varine
Garter
Garter

Post by Varine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 am

I don't know, just want it to be somewhat coherent. Our plan is to just use a bunch of really big words and hope no one knows what they mean, I figure if we string enough of them together it can pass without an issue. But I mean if in the first minute of the game it's too incoherent it apparently turns a lot of people away (according to the self appointed psychologist of the team anyway).

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:20 pm

just don't do it too difficult to understand. That would turn away me ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.