Weird questions?

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

yelainec
Garter
Garter

Weird questions?

Post by yelainec » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:24 am

Hello All,

I hope someone can help me out with this weird question.

A genomic piece of dsDNA (5.6kb) could be digested by 2 restriction enzyme EcoR1 and BamH1 into smaller fragments of 1.6, 1.1, 0.3, 0.7, 0.5, and 1.4kb.

2 mRNAs (transcripts) were expressed in vivo from within this piece of genomic DNA. The genes corresponding to these trasncripts were named P20 and P50. A probe complimentary to 5' end of P20 mRNA hybridized to 0.7kb fragment while the one complimentary to 3' end hybridzied to 0.3kb.

Similarly, the probe complimentary to 5' of P50 mRNA hybridize to 1.1. and 0.7kb fragments while prob complimentary to 3' end of P50 transcripts hybridized to 0.7 and 0.5 fragments.

My question is that how come the P50 probe can be split up by 0.3 fragment? Why does 0.3 fail to hybridize with the P50 transcript?
What's the best way for the 2 genes to trasncribe without any problems since they're overlapping?

Thank you very much everyone.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:24 am

why do you think, it's split BY 0.3 fragment? It just binds to two fragments each, because the cut place is somewhere in the area, where binds the probe ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.