Human chromosomes

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

zami'87.
Coral
Coral

Re:

Post by zami'87. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 pm

@jwalin

I think you should check this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoautosomal_region
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***

Swede
Garter
Garter

Post by Swede » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Sorry, I misinterpreted the question. The two sex chromosomes are homologous! The definition of homologous is that the two chromosomes should pair during mitosis. Even though the mechanism of sex chromosomes are not fully understood, that do pair and are therefore homologous, as far as I am concerned. Sorry if I mixed things up!

active
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by active » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:30 pm

Swede wrote:No.

One main reason to why we have chromosome pairs is that they compensate for inadequate qualities of one. That's why persones with very alike genome (like siblings) often produce children with diseases due to a short variation of genes. Some genes are also transcripted from both alleles on both chromosomes in one pair, giving a variety which in many cases gives the individual advantages.

Swede - thanks a lot! You didn't mix things up. This answer is what I was looking for! I am not a scientist or anything, just a student and biology is only one of the subjects in my studies, so I didn't really need smart answers. Anyway thanks everyone! :wink:

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: Re:

Post by JackBean » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Swede wrote:No.

One main reason to why we have chromosome pairs is that they compensate for inadequate qualities of one. That's why persones with very alike genome (like siblings) often produce children with diseases due to a short variation of genes. Some genes are also transcripted from both alleles on both chromosomes in one pair, giving a variety which in many cases gives the individual advantages.

If that was the truth, than the trisomy would be helpful
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

koyal
Garter
Garter

Re: Human chromosomes

Post by koyal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi,
There are 23 pairs, because when gametes fused during fertilization, each partcipating gamete had only 23 nonpaired (single) chromosomes and got paired after the gametes fused.
In other words each parent contributed one chromosome in each pair.
Regards,
Koyal