Transgenic Mutation

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jessssxloveee
Garter
Garter

Transgenic Mutation

Post by jessssxloveee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 am

I was just doing a practice test for my biology exam tomorrow, and I came across a question about transgenic mutations. We haven't covered this in our notes, and I couldn't find anything about it online, so I was hoping you guys could help me.

According to the answer key, a transgenic mutation is the same thing as a point mutation. However, since transgenic means mixing genetic information between different species, I thought it would have something to do with that. I just want to make sure I have the correct answer before my test tomorrow, just in case there was a typo on the answer key.

So, if anyone can confirm that a transgenic mutation is or is not that the same as a point mutation, please let me know!

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Not the same thing as a point mutation. You are right in that 'transgenic' means mixing of genetic information (DNA) between different species. So an example would be the insertion of the Epstein Barr Virus into the human genome. Or any virial DNA inserted into any species genome that would cause a mutated expression (though there are silent transgenic mutations too in which there is no expression).