Running SDS gels

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Crystal25
Garter
Garter

Running SDS gels

Post by Crystal25 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi, I'd like to ask the panel about their use of TEMED? It strictly states on the small bottle to use inside the fume hood and yet people working with me are always using it on the bench? They know I have a history of lung sensitivity to certain reagents (have been given steroids twice) and yet they work with something like this right beside my bench. My throat was so sore all day along with persistent coughing and in the end I had to take a Claritin (always have to carry these when working in the lab.) - how do you deal with this situation in a proper way?

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Re: Running SDS gels

Post by Darwin420 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:24 am

Kill your co-workers and dispose their bodies in a proper way.

dhkwak
Garter
Garter

Post by dhkwak » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:43 pm

I think it's fair that you would like them to use TEM in the hood. I wouldn't imagine they would be doing that intentionally. I don't know exactly what your relationship with your colleagues is like, but maybe you can quietly take one of them aside and explain your condition and politely ask them to use it only in the hood - I think that would be very reasonable. I hope it turns out well. Let us know how it works out!