Are there any genes that are unique to yeast?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

sixpence
Garter
Garter

Are there any genes that are unique to yeast?

Post by sixpence » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:43 am

If you had to identify a yeast cell from a human cell or bacterial cell, what gene would you test for? I know yeast have many different homologous genes with humans and such so would you be able to distinguish the two?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 am

some of the "peripheral" metabolism genes.
How doyou wish to recognize them? By PCR? You can design primers unique to different parts of homologous genes ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

sixpence
Garter
Garter

Re: Are there any genes that are unique to yeast?

Post by sixpence » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 pm

JackBean wrote:some of the "peripheral" metabolism genes.
How doyou wish to recognize them? By PCR? You can design primers unique to different parts of homologous genes

Yes, I guess? So that would require you to know the entire genome sequence? Or could you use intragenic primers? Could you name some peripheral metabolism genes, because I'm not sure what you are referring to...

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm talking about some pathways utilizing uncommon sources or leading to some secondary metabolites. That is, not the universal metabolism core ;)

Sure, you can use intergenic regions. Find some genes from both human and your yeast and make alignment. In the region, which is not much homologous and design primers for these regions. Or find some gene, which conteins some big indel and than you can visualize easily on gel.

sixpence
Garter
Garter

Re: Are there any genes that are unique to yeast?

Post by sixpence » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:17 pm

Could I amplify 12s rRNA genes of the mitochondria in yeast and human? Would I get a different lengths or are these genes identical?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm

go to www.pubmed.com and find their sequence, but I bet, you could find some differences and design primers. I did something similar with 18S RNA to detect fungi in wine.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 am

a lot of things are different between yeast and human. for example, being an ER person, i would look for the retention sequence at the end of ER-resident proteins. The ones in yeast cells have an HDEL at the end and the ones in human cells have a KDEL at the end.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:44 am

well, that are 4 AAs, that is 12 nts, I guess you won't be much able to design primers for that ;)

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:27 pm

well yes, that's true. It was merely an example I thought of on the spot
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter