Discretenes Required for Species Status

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Segundo
Garter
Garter

Discretenes Required for Species Status

Post by Segundo » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi,

I have been trying to find out how discrete a population need be before it is awarded species status. I assume the frequency of hybrids (if there are any) is the key factor, but I have no idea what the threshold is by convention.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this question.

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:34 am

So far as I have been able to see, there are no discrete universally-agreed-upon distinctions unless there's clear reproductive isolation in a shared ecosystem.

Segundo
Garter
Garter

Re: Discretenes Required for Species Status

Post by Segundo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:00 am

Say there are two populations of organisms which are morphological distinct, with a very strong reproductive barrier, say for example 2% of organisms are hybrids, would you classify such populations as races of a species or a single species? My gut tells me that 2% means such strong endogamy that one may as well just call the populations species.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 am

There are plenty of "species", which are called species, subspecies, varietties and stuff, depending on who's making the classification ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

Segundo
Garter
Garter

Re: Discretenes Required for Species Status

Post by Segundo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:21 am

You appear to be saying that this particular issue is somewhat subjective/arbitrary which more or less is what I thought. With that in mind I personally think that a hybrid frequency of less than 2% is enough to warrant species status.