Question About Microbiology Course.

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

violinist1225
Garter
Garter

Question About Microbiology Course.

Post by violinist1225 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:01 pm

Greetings everyone,

I will be taking micro biology for the first time very soon. I was wondering if anyone had any tips in how to do well in it (I'm shooting for an "A")? Study I know haha. But, in terms of study tips. How to study? Or the mindset to keep in mind.

I have taken general biology I before and another biology course that intertwined general biology II concepts that I did well in, so I am just wondering how this course is like (and I know it will vary depending on the school, so I'm just looking for general information).

Thanks...

billw
Garter
Garter

Re: Question About Microbiology Course.

Post by billw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:16 pm

An intro microbiology class isn't much different in terms of learning methods than a general biology class. You should be prepared to memorize a fair amount of information, but that applies to biology as well. Having taken some biochemistry is really helpful, but most people don't have that before taking intro level micro.
http://microbiology101.com/

violinist1225
Garter
Garter

Post by violinist1225 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks so much billw for your insights!

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Definitely alot of memorization, so any technique that you have come up with/or try some different ones like notecards with pictures of the bacteria and their parts on them. Also, if you have a lab to go with it, be very clean in everything you do. I pretended that i was working with a deadly bacteria/virus (like ebola!) and made sure I was very anal about my petri plates. (Remember that gloves can pick up stuff too! Do not touch your clothes or your face or even the counter! while working in the lab).

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:59 am

Make friends and have them watch your back.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:37 pm

microbiology is fun!!! well, it should be. You won't always be peering on a microscope like most people believe. A good microbiology book would be helpful.But I won't give you some titles coz I'm sure your professor has his/her own preferences.

Try reading up on some interesting microbiology websites. Don't believe all of them though. You could try reading Microbiology for Dummies or was it Microbiology Idiots guide or something about ridiculously simple. Just google it.

Have fun and good luck, and try not to get contaminated. :D