Survival in the open sea

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

manvswild
Garter
Garter

Survival in the open sea

Post by manvswild » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:32 pm

I recently saw this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtIG4TuVnvg

It displays survival while trapped in the open sea, without clean water. The guy has some rain water contaminated by bird droppings,
making it undrinkable, so he gives himself an enema. The colon absorbs the water and there's no risk of vomiting the water.

Ok that was funny to watch, but after giggling about it, I wondered if the colon could absorb the water from a sea water enema.

It makes more sense to use fresh sea water instead of bird poop water, I'm not sure if it's possible though.
That's why I turn to you for an answer, is it possible to survive on sea water enemas and if yes for how long?

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 am

As far as I know the laws of osmosis apply also to one's colon. That is, a person would eventually dehydrate if they were given enemas of hypertonic solutions (here, salt water).

I have understood that it is dehydration, not vomiting, that is the primary problem when drinking seawater. Dehydration, again, is caused by the accumulation of salt to the body (which binds water from the tissues) because human kidneys cannot secrete the salt efficiently enough.

jwalin
Coral
Coral

Re: Survival in the open sea

Post by jwalin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:47 am

biohazard is right.
it would be very hazardous. :lol: :) :wink:

he has hit the nail on its head
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it