Inorganic/Organic Bio Test Essay Question

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

hstraight
Garter
Garter

Inorganic/Organic Bio Test Essay Question

Post by hstraight » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:18 pm

Hi, I've been reading my notes and text book over and over and can't seem to find much information for a test essay question I have to answer as part of my final (for cell bio). The question is:

"Discuss the concepts of inorganic materials and cells, and organic materials and cells. You must include what they are, where they come from, and uses in cells and organisms."

I know organic is mostly carbon based and inorganic is not carbon based. But I can't figure out where they come from, and water is the only inorganic thing I can find specific uses for. Could some one maybe give me some ideas or point me in the right direction?

g0ld3n88
Garter
Garter

Post by g0ld3n88 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:22 am

Organic molecules are mainly made up of carbon, oxygen and hydrogen.

An example of organic molecules are polysaccharides. A polysaccharide maybe cellulose, where they are found on plants in their cell walls. They serve for structural purposes, like making the tough structures that some plants or trees require.

An example of an inorganic material is calcium, magnesium, iron and so on.
Calcium is used for strong bones and teeth, and most of it is found there too.

If you need more information or help feel free to reply or contact me. Good luck.