Changing hair colour

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Changing hair colour

Post by TheVirus » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Hey, i've got a doubt. When i was born, my hair was bright yellowish blonde, and i've noticed it getting darker every year. Now my hair is like dark ocre, yellowish brown or something. Do you know what's wrong with me? I think it's something genetic, 'cause my dad used to be blonde at my age too, and now he's got black hair (or at least he did until he started getting grey hair). Why do you think this would happen? :|
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:10 am

Epigenetics would be my guess. Your DNA could be becoming hypomethylated, and darker pigment is being expressed more and more.
Environment may have to do with some of it also. Are you indoors more than you were as a kid, so the hair is not being lightened by the sun? (Since most of us are indoors for our working environmnet, this is usually the case for adults). It could also be getting thicker than you were as a kid, since you are no longer growing and can give the nutrients to the hair follicles.
Unfortunately I seem to be following the genetics on the maternal side of my family, as all of them starting getting thinner hair as they aged (though I might follow my maternal grandfather and have not as quite so much grey).
Reading a book about Nutrients and Epigenetics and haven't gotten to the nutrients part yet. But the little that I do know, is to make sure you are getting the B vitamins to supply the methyl groups your body can utilize for methylations.
Does anybody else know about the theory that loss of catalase is what is making the hair grey?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:58 am

Hi,

well, I'm pretty much similar case, as child I've had fairly light hair, while now, it's more brown and the same with my sister.
And I don't think, it's really due to the sun, as it begun some time ago, when I was all the time outdoor (but wearing kind of hat, that's true...)

kolean: what book are you talking about? That sound interesting :)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

zami'87.
Coral
Coral

Re: Changing hair colour

Post by zami'87. » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:54 am

@kolean
I'm also interested for that book :) Are you talking about this one? http://www.amazon.com/Nutrients-Epigene ... 124&sr=1-1
It seems expensive :? Does quality of that book cover its price?
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Yes, that is the book. Wow the price has gone up in the past month! I got it from someone for only 88 dollars (not amazon's new, but another seller that said the book was new, and it was).
It is a small book, and so far I am only on chapter 3 and it has quite an in depth epigenetics background. Each chapter is written by a different group of authors, so there is some overlap of info (which is helpful to keep everything all tied together), but each emphasizing their part. So I have covered methylation of nucleosomes and now am on mammalian DNA methyltransferases.
I think it is worth it. Epigenetics is such a new field with an explosion of info here and there in just the past few years, and this seems so far to tie all the experiments together. I also like that there is an extensive references page at the end of every chapter for you to look into that specific info. Now it is not as extensive (so far that I have read - only up to chapter 3) as the other book I just got done reading: Epigenetics by Allis, et al
http://www.amazon.com/Epigenetics-C-Dav ... 9447&sr=8-
Just wanted to add that it is not a textbook like the Epigenetics one. Also the book Nutrients and Epigenetics seems to be an easy read for me on the epigenetics part at least, as I was just coming from reading the other one. It is a very technical book, and you should have knowledge of RNAi machinery, Histone Modifications (HKMTs and HDACs), and other basic genomic knowledge, even though it does a great job of explaining what everything does (but only in a sentence or two :wink: ).

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Re:

Post by TheVirus » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:48 pm

kolean wrote:Environment may have to do with some of it also. Are you indoors more than you were as a kid, so the hair is not being lightened by the sun? (Since most of us are indoors for our working environmnet, this is usually the case for adults).

Yeah that's true, i stay home more than i used to, but i go on camping trips every once in a while, and i always come back with sunburns, so i guess my hair is getting enough sun (plus i never wear a hat).
kolean wrote:It could also be getting thicker than you were as a kid, since you are no longer growing and can give the nutrients to the hair follicles.

What do you mean i'm no longer growing? how old do u think i am?
kolean wrote: But the little that I do know, is to make sure you are getting the B vitamins to supply the methyl groups your body can utilize for methylations.
I think it's possible. I don't think i'm missing any vitamins, but i'll check my diet. Anyway, i doubt my dad was not getting enough B vitamins at the same time i did.
Thanks.
Any other ideas?
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:51 am

Does anyone else have any other idea?
~Charles Darwin