What sequence in the DNA initiates the cells duplication ?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ali076
Garter
Garter

What sequence in the DNA initiates the cells duplication ?

Post by ali076 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:35 pm

Hey all

I was going to do a science fair project on splicing breast cancer cells, but I realized that no one knew what sequence in DNA of breast cancer makes it duplicate itself. This made genetic splicing of breast cancer cell highly unlikely, because I wouldn't know which restricting enzymes to use. So my new project is to find the DNA sequence that duplicates itself in breast cancer. Then next I will splice the cancer cell. So can anyone hint or tell me how to proceed on finding out which sequence makes the cell duplicate ? ... and yes I have done research as well as tried to contact Dr. Michael R. Hayden regarding this topic. I would apreciate any and all criticism, as this will work out all the wrinkles in the project. Thanks for reading.
~ali076~

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:43 am

You are the one, who wished to cut all the genomic DNA?

Anyway, you have to find out, what cell line you have, than it should not be problem to find, why is it cancer...
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

jwalin
Coral
Coral

Post by jwalin » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:24 pm

nothing to do with the topic
but what happens in cancer that somehow the cell seems tofind itself alone as it cannot contact other cells so like the prehistoric tries to make colonies to support itself. very rapidly.
Last edited by jwalin on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
it isn't what you do that matters but it is how you do it

ali076
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by ali076 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:11 pm

JackBean wrote:You are the one, who wished to cut all the genomic DNA?

Anyway, you have to find out, what cell line you have, than it should not be problem to find, why is it cancer...

Yes I'm the one that wanted to cut up all the genomic DNA. and I will have a breast cancer cell line. But what is the duplication gene ? like it's sequence. I found a site which lists allot of restricting enzymes, but I will need to find the sequence that I need to cut out. Which would be the duplicating one. Do you know where this type of info can be found ?
thanks for reading.

ali076
Garter
Garter

Re:

Post by ali076 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:14 pm

jwalin wrote:nothing to do with the topic
but what happens in cancer that somehow the cell seems to find itself alone as it v=cannot contact other cells so like the prehistoric tries to make colonies to support itself. very rapidly.

That is true, according to my knowledge. But what sequence in these cells makes it duplicate itself ?

ali076
Garter
Garter

Re: What sequence in the DNA initiates the cells duplication ?

Post by ali076 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:17 pm

Just so you know the breast cancer cell line that I wish to use is MCF-7.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Oh, God, I thought, I will have to scream again, if you won't write it.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mcf-7+breast+cancer+cell+line
Was that really SO hard? Even Google sugest that.
Well, if you look to the first link, Wiki says:
Originally the karyotype of MCF-7 cells was described of possessing 85 chromosomes[1] around 220 passages later a reduction to 69 had occurred[3]. More recently studies have shown karyotype discrepancies between the MCF-7 cell line from the Michigan Cancer Foundation and the MCF-7 cell line supplied by ATCC (Graham et al. 1986). Comparing the cell lines from the two sources studies concluded that the MCF-7 cells from ATCC could not have been derived from the same individual as the original MCF-7 cell line (Graham et al. 1986).

So, you better find out, from where you have the cells and then ask your supplier or your teacher or some advisor or whoever.

ali076
Garter
Garter

Post by ali076 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:52 am

The proposal is due tomorrow ...

Oh, God, I thought, I will have to scream again, if you won't write it.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=mcf-7+breast+cancer+cell+line
Was that really SO hard? Even Google sugest that.
Well, if you look to the first link, Wiki says:

Originally the karyotype of MCF-7 cells was described of possessing 85 chromosomes[1] around 220 passages later a reduction to 69 had occurred[3]. More recently studies have shown karyotype discrepancies between the MCF-7 cell line from the Michigan Cancer Foundation and the MCF-7 cell line supplied by ATCC (Graham et al. 1986). Comparing the cell lines from the two sources studies concluded that the MCF-7 cells from ATCC could not have been derived from the same individual as the original MCF-7 cell line (Graham et al. 1986).

So, you better find out, from where you have the cells and then ask your supplier or your teacher or some advisor or whoever.

I'm so lost here, what is your reply trying to say to me ?
and what is the sequence of MCF-7 cell ?

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:28 am

I'm trying to say:
MCF-7 cells are not uniform, so you should find out, where did you get it
MCF-7 have many duplicated chromosomes (~90-60, it's obviously not only some part)
you should ask some your advisor or someone, who supervise you, where to get info about your cell line

ali076
Garter
Garter

Post by ali076 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:54 am

Ooooooohhh. ok. thanks xP