Evolution going backwards

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

xjessicax
Garter
Garter

Evolution going backwards

Post by xjessicax » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:24 am

Hi :D
I have been having a question ever since I saw a program about rattlesnakes. It said that since they were being hunted in great number in a state in the United States of America, they started to no longer rattle. With no rattling sounds, people were less likely to notice them. The program (which was either in animal planet or in discovery channel) also said that they might go back from evolution, and lose their rattle.
My question is if this is true, and if it is, are there any other examples?

(sorry if I wrote something wrong, english is my second language. Please feel free if I had a structure problem of if I wrote something wrong.)

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:32 am

Well, technically, yes i think it's true. If you think about natural selection: those snakes which rattle are then more likely to be caught, hunted and killed, and those which can't won't make a sound stay silent and survive and procreate, so eventualy, the snakes which rattle will gradually disappear and the not rattling ones will remain safe and sound.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:05 am

This phenomenom is real and can be seen in different forms in many animals. It is actually the very fundamental event in evolution: adaptation. Evolution has no "direction", it just chooses the ones that best fit their current environment, but of course you can think it going backward when some gained ability reverts back to what it was before. But this is just rattlesankes adapting to their new environment, which is one that has humans hunting for them.

edit: typofix
Last edited by biohazard on Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:45 am

The same could be whales - once left water enviroment and then gone back... or some of the animals living whole life in soil or stuff, where they do not need eyes... ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.