Life

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Life

Post by TheVirus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:31 pm

Hey, i know there's a philosofical definition of life, and a religious one, and so on, but, is there a BIOLOGICAL definition of life? And i don't mean a definition of living being, but a definition of life itself, what makes us live.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

mcar
Coral
Coral
Location: Pilipinas a.k.a. Three Stars and a Sun (300, 000 sq Km)

Post by mcar » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:04 am

You said it. Any basic character or attribute that defines your life, although I remember one old thread in evolution claiming that scientists can not define what life truly is. Try watching The Core and the Dr. Zimsky there said that science is all about guess... so there comes the theories work.
---Just one act of random kindness at a time and you can change the world---

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:52 pm

I know that life is what makes us alive, but that's not a definition, it's just a characteristic, a funtion.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

Darby
Viper
Viper

Post by Darby » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:55 am

There are some common characteristics of current Life: cellularity, energy transformation, reproduction, evolution of populations, response to environment, a couple of others. Some would be thought to apply to anything that could be called "life."

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:27 am

So, that means there's not an actual concrete definition of life itself.
~Charles Darwin

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:35 am

as there is nothing like "life" or "vital power" by itself, as people used to think, no, it probably isn't
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by biohazard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I don't think there is a universal, compact and accepted-by-all definition of life. It is just a combination of phenomena that we typically see in things we say are 'living'.

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 am

Ok, thanks everybody. That's exactly what i was looking for.
~Charles Darwin

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:43 am

You know, someone in my biology class actually did came up with a quite accurate definition of life: "a coordinated set of chemical reactions". What do u think?
~Charles Darwin

zami'87.
Coral
Coral

Re: Life

Post by zami'87. » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:18 am

There's difference between existing and living..everyone has different definition of life(philosophically speaking)..when one exists,he's only in the waitingroom..waiting for life..basic (biological) needs are fulfilled..but life is more..for me it's investigation and creativity
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:24 am

but that's a phylosophical definition, i'm looking for a scientific one
~Charles Darwin

James
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by James » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:35 am

Think of it this way; imagine the very first self replicating organism that is the ancestor to every organism we class as alive. Life is all of the individuals that have occurred in the lineage originating from that first individual. Essentially the tree of life is the very definition of life because its generally accepted that all living things share common ancestry.