Question about Genetic Engineering in general

Genetics as it applies to evolution, molecular biology, and medical aspects.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

qazxsw11111
Garter
Garter

Question about Genetic Engineering in general

Post by qazxsw11111 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:04 am

Hi everyone. I am writing about an essay on genetic engineering and wondering if cloning would come under genetic engineering or modifications. Some sources state it is while some state that it is a separate entity. I personally feel that cloning is not GE/GM, but if it is relevant then my essay would have more points, I suppose.

Anyway, what are your views on this and please state why if you consider cloning as GE/GM.

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 am

Yes, in fact, cloning is considered a part of genetic engineering, since you manipulate the genes of an animal for example ,to take them, copy them and produce an offspring without sexual reproduction.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

qazxsw11111
Garter
Garter

Post by qazxsw11111 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:07 am

Ok, view taken. Your view is that manipulation is considered as "to take them, copy them and produce an offspring without sexual reproduction." because I previously viewed "engineering and manipulation" as just like splicing/mixing genes etc.

Thank you for your input.

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:19 am

It's both things.
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin