Cell Components after apoptosis/necrosis

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:47 am

links0311,

I think you're wrong. I find it highly improbable that proteins are re-used after being taken up by phagocytosis of the debris from another cell. I think what happens most likely is that everything is just degraded and the parts recycled.
So, do you have a reference for what you are claiming? (peer-reviewed, if possible)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:08 pm

Sorry, no. I was just guessing. How do you think it is exactly, this recycling process?
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

links0311
Garter
Garter

Post by links0311 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:38 pm

Proteins are definitly re-used. If you have access to Medical Physiology by Walter Boron look at Ch. 2 pg. 43-44. Lipids are also recycled to the cell's surface to replace any damaged or degrading sections of membrane.

links0311
Garter
Garter

Post by links0311 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:39 pm

Look under the sub-chapter "Endocytosed Proteins Can Be Targeted to Lysosomes or Recycled to the Cell Surface" in Boron's.