Should I get a degree?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

eduffield
Garter
Garter

Should I get a degree?

Post by eduffield » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm 27, and a professional programmer. I've been doing it for my whole adult life.

I'm looking to go to college and first get my BS, then MA, then Ph.D. I really love reading about biology, and I think it would suit me to be a professor, and/or do studies. I do well currently for myself, but I also have carpel tunnel, and I don't think I can actually program forever.

I need a few questions answered to figure out if this is realistic.

1.) If I graduated with my masters and started teaching at 35, is that too old to begin being a professor?
2.) Will I be able to hold a part time / full time job and goto school?
3.) I'm guessing from reading that programming might be useful in doing studies for data mining. Is that true?

Thanks for any help!

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Post by Darwin420 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Check out bio-informatics...that is a great new discipline where you could apply your computer skills to the biology world.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:02 pm

I don't think, it's so new, but yes, that's probably, what are you looking for, eduffield.
But, as you already know programing, it would be maybe better to get BS in some regular biology and just MA or PhD take as bioinformatics.
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:43 am

computational genomics, bioinfomatics, systems biology etc etc
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr