Centromeres

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Jules19
Garter
Garter

Centromeres

Post by Jules19 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Are centromeres always present, or do they assemble to hold sister chromatids together only at certains points in the cell cycle?

~Jules~

HylaCinerea
Garter
Garter

Re: Centromeres

Post by HylaCinerea » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:09 am

So long as the chromatids are held together in the "X" shape, the centromeres are present. That stated, they would be around in prophase and metaphase. However, the centromeres are broken right down the middle when the sister chromatids are pulled apart in anaphase.

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:16 am

That means they stay "broken" in the chromatids until the next duplication?
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

HylaCinerea
Garter
Garter

Post by HylaCinerea » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:44 am

That was the term used when I studied it, yes. However, my book was likely not the best. If there is a more specific term, please do share.

Jules19
Garter
Garter

Post by Jules19 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:57 pm

So after replication in the S phase, they're present again until anaphase of mitosis?

andra
Garter
Garter

Post by andra » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:48 am

Are u serious?what i know is centromere's a part of chromosome,and it will always be there,in all phases of cell cycle,but u said that it will break when the two chromatid sister apart,is it true?tell me more about it,i think for so long,what i know is wrong,tell me more bout,please
Tut wuri handayani

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:54 am

I think it only breaks in half and each half of the centromere stays with one of the chromatids, and then duplicates along with the rest of the chromosome during cell duplication, in order to be able to keep the new chromatid together with the old one.
I think i saw that in a book...
”It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”
~Charles Darwin

andra
Garter
Garter

Post by andra » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:01 am

U mean that each chromatid has one of the two break centromere!?
Tut wuri handayani

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:05 am

Yeah, but i'd rather someone else confirmed this, until i find that book. I'm not sure right now wheter it was talking about the centromeres or the centrioles... :?
~Charles Darwin

andra
Garter
Garter

Post by andra » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:10 am

Yea,i think we talk about centriol,too,cz centriol will break too,are u agree with me?
Tut wuri handayani

TheVirus
Coral
Coral

Post by TheVirus » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:15 am

no, centrioles don't break cause thay're not pulled apart during cell division, they just duplicate into two centrioles, do their work and each daughter cell keeps one of them for another division.
~Charles Darwin

andra
Garter
Garter

Post by andra » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:42 am

Yea,u're right,centriol just dublicate and the two centriol will divide,and each daughter cell will keep it,
Well,may be now we can make a conclusion,that centromer will break when the chromatid sister separate,right?
Tut wuri handayani