Animal Behaviour

Animals!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Ange
Garter
Garter

Post by Ange » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:26 am

James wrote:I think Ange means offspring are taught behaviour by viewing their parents- which is true in some cases.

Yeah.... that's what I mean.... the offspring are taught behaviour by viewing their parents.
If we love our children, we must love our earth with tender care and pass it on, diverse and beautiful, so that on a warm spring day 10,000 years hence they can feel peace in a sea of grass, songs from the birds, and can find joy in being alive.

deadth1
Garter
Garter

Post by deadth1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:42 am

I think that animal behaviour are base on what thier parents had taught them and base on what thay have learned in thier life what do you think?

charles brough
Coral
Coral

Re:

Post by charles brough » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:34 pm

deadth1 wrote:I think that animal behaviour are base on what thier parents had taught them and base on what thay have learned in thier life what do you think?

Amazing! This thread began and ended in 2005 and you now come up with a new post in it! This IS a good subject, but, hey, you might do a little research before posting mere opinion. After all, this is a science forum. Do you know about instincts?

and "thier" is actually "their."

charles

futurezoologist
Coral
Coral

Re: Animal Behaviour

Post by futurezoologist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:27 am

I think that animal behaviour are base on what thier parents had taught them and base on what thay have learned in thier life what do you think?

Here's a question for that theory:
How does a male organism(that internally fertilizes) know how to mate - how does he know the action of sticking his penis into the females vagina? There are hundreds of other traits also especially with animals like reptiles which are left as young to fend for themselves. These behaviors must be imprinted into the DNA, i haven't done any research but im sure someone here can teach us something about this.
A wise man once said to me:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Only the fittest chickens cross the road.

charles brough
Coral
Coral

Post by charles brough » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:19 pm

futurezoologist wrote:

Here's a question for that theory:
How does a male organism(that internally fertilizes) know how to mate - how does he know the action of sticking his penis into the females vagina? There are hundreds of other traits also especially with animals like reptiles which are left as young to fend for themselves. These behaviors must be imprinted into the DNA, i haven't done any research but im sure someone here can teach us something about this.

Natural scientists seem to want to all avoid the use of the term, "instinct." Nevertheless, it is better than resorting to "genetic-based behavior." Its the same thing, actually. The "lower" animals behavior can be UNCONDITIONED instinct while the "higher" mammals have their instincts conditioned. That is, how they are expressed is led by and influenced by what they learn from observing their parents and others. You would be surprised to know that many animals raised entirely outside of and away from their peers are unable to express their instincts. They have no idea of what to do when they feel the need to have sex.
Brough,
civilization-overview (dot) com

futurezoologist
Coral
Coral

Post by futurezoologist » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:59 am

I agree, except that unconditioned(instincts) and conditioned(not instincts) behaviors are both evident in the more complex animals. Canids(and I'm sure they aren't the only ones), even without any conditioning by peers, are able to have sex. I can state this with confidence because we have one male dog and two female dogs, he has never seen a male dog before, and he is able to replicate this behavior, sexual reproduction then must be as a result of unconditioned behaviors.
A wise man once said to me:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Only the fittest chickens cross the road.

charles brough
Coral
Coral

Post by charles brough » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Exactly! Dogs have pack or social instincts as well. They have protective-responsible instincts. That is, they will try to protect their owner. Collie dogs will work themselves literally to exhaustion and possibly death keeping a large group of sheep together. Females, of course, fondly care for their young, It is all instinct in them and us as well. Men go to war to "protect their country."
Brough,
civilization-overview (dot) com