Is evolution determinate?

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:12 am

Exactly. On other planets, if there was life based on other chemicals, totally other conditions may be favorable for the life and thus the life forms will look differently ;)
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 am

that is true to some extent, but i think that even with a world made out of Si instead of C, the same principles of evolution would create creatures that might have some common features
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:43 am

to some extend... they will probably feed on something, divide, but I mean their appearence may be totally different ;)

tugceozmek
Garter
Garter

Post by tugceozmek » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 pm

it's not certain for now but most likely yes!
I don't know how I can explain that.I just believe''Somethings's changing,something will be change..''

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:22 am

not necessarily. I mean think of it. It makes sense to concentrate things, for example control (nervous) organs, which will probably wind up in a sort of brain. brains evolved at least twice independently on earth. It makes sense to have a sort of lens organ (eye) that should be placed in the part that first meets the environment. Eyes have evolved at least 6 or 7 times on Earth. If you want to fly a wing-like organ will most likely be the solution, and wings have evolved 3 or 4 times on earth. Etc etc.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

paradigm
Garter
Garter

Post by paradigm » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:10 am

On the sacale of the Universe, with finite construction possibilites, it's inevitable that biology is constructed on a planet with the same specifications of the Earth. Which is to say, that the emergence of biology is inevitable and exists through-out the Universe.

paradigm

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 am

1) why do you think, there are finite construction possibilities?
2) why should be the emergence of life inevitable? :lol:

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re:

Post by biohazard » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am

paradigm wrote:On the sacale of the Universe, with finite construction possibilites, it's inevitable that biology is constructed on a planet with the same specifications of the Earth. Which is to say, that the emergence of biology is inevitable and exists through-out the Universe.

paradigm

We don't even know if life actually began on the Earth. Some people have suggested that it may have been carried here e.g. along a meteorite or such. Maybe the early Earth wasn't suitable for the beginning of life after all, but instead some other place was?