CANCER - metastasis

Human Anatomy, Physiology, and Medicine. Anything human!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Do U feel metastasis fatal at first sight ?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:37 am

yes
40%
no
60%

Total votes: 5

King Cobra
King Cobra

CANCER - metastasis

Post by 2810712 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:37 am

Why is metastasis fatal ? Nothing seems so serious to me in this phenomenon? Please help me realize its severity.... :?
hsg

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:10 am

In metastasis cancer spreads all over the body. (I am talking about the malign situation. Benign tumors do not show metastasis.) It means it is getting harder to stop or slow down the process. cancer cells do not show contact inhibition.in normal cells dividing takes place for some time and then slows down and stops. but cancer cells do not stop dividing. And also they are considered to be immortal. they do not go through apoptosis. The uncontrolledly divided cells goes through differentiotion. And they cause harm in the body. If these cells spread to other parts of the body, this harmful effect increases.
Is everything clear or would you like me to give some more info?

King Cobra
King Cobra

differentiation

Post by 2810712 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:23 am

Thank you very much !! But still I have simething to ask..........
The uncontrolledly divided cells goes through differentiotion.

How can they under go differentiation ? for e.g. If the tumour is of epithalial cells then how can the further defferentiate ? or the tumour arises in the previous stages of epithalial cells in which cells under go differentiation ? is it possible that tumour arises in fully differentiated cells ?

they cause harm in the body

What kind of harm for example ... I know that the make grow many blood vessels for themselves ,with the help of angiogenetic factors, but this doesn't seem that harmful ...
ALSO, i have read that tumours produce some chemicals that inhibit the growth of other tumours. Does this happen in all cases ? This shud reduce the metastasis rate, does this ? R these anti tumour factors being used for the treatement of tumours ?................

Ohh......... Please help................................ . . . :roll:
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hrushikesh

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:09 pm

some changes occur in cancer cells. there are some changes in plasma membranes. (like lipids and glycoproteins).
for examle: cancer cells relase a proteaz called the 'cell factor' (I'm not sure about its name). this enzyme effects plasminogens and change them to plasmin. this enzyme effects the protein groups on the plasma membrane of the cancer cells. Usually cancer cells have antigens that are not present in normal cells.
A cancer that has metastasized can no longer be eliminated by surgery because its cells are too widely dispersed throughout the body. cancer celly continue to multiply in various parts of the body until they interfere with the normal body functions by monopolizing nutrients and pressing on blood vessels. When a critical function fails, the person dies.
"is it possible that tumour arises in fully differentiated cells ? " I couldnt understand what are you trying to ask here. can you please explain it?

Tumors have various types. I do not know every detail about it.
there are so many treatment methods. like surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and other treatment methods.
Here is a link you can find more info:
http://www.cancer.gov

King Cobra
King Cobra

[color=indigo]THAKSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!![/color]

Post by 2810712 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:16 am

Thank you very much for the info U gave and also for the link :)
some changes occur in cancer cells. there are some changes in plasma membranes. ...... In ur 1st reply U wrote that cancer cells under go differentiation, I took this in the same sense as the differentiation of stemcells to some specific celltype. But, what U mean by differentiation is some further changes eg. in PLmembrane proteins etc. I thought that cancer cells differentiate means cancer occurs before the normal cells complete their differentiation , that's why I was asking whether cancer occurs in fully differentiated cells or it does not.
So , now it is quite clear to me . Thaks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks ......

hrushikesh

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:21 pm

I think it was my fault that I was too lazy to explain the whole process. :lol:
It's good to hear that the info was useful :)

atypical10
Garter
Garter

Metastasis

Post by atypical10 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:07 pm

Metastasis is fatal because it's the spreading of cancer. Malginant tumors are harmful because they disrupt the bodies functions.

Nite
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by Nite » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:35 pm

@2810712:

Thank you very much !! But still I have simething to ask..........
The uncontrolledly divided cells goes through differentiotion.

How can they under go differentiation ? for e.g. If the tumour is of epithalial cells then how can the further defferentiate ? or the tumour arises in the previous stages of epithalial cells in which cells under go differentiation ? is it possible that tumour arises in fully differentiated cells ?

I think what Poison means is cancer cells go through "dedifferentiation" i.e. cancer cells lost it's differentiated function due to uncontrolled division (and thus increase rate of mutation till the differentiated function is lost).. it's one of the characteristic of cancer cells..

tho this come a bit lag... hope it helps..
Go as far as you can see, and when you get there you will always be able to see farther.

King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by 2810712 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:47 am

yes, it helped...
now i got that metastasis is fatal because it dirupts physiology of body... but still i think it will take time for a melignant to become able to disrupt normal physiology...

the ways it can affect physiology considerably are by having considerable ammounts of 'harm'ones [ i mean harmful secretions e.g. angiogenetic factors etc] or by blocking or pressing some tact or organ due to increased size ...

hrushikesh