6%
What's a poll?
6%

Total votes: 16

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:12 am

I believe pandas may be a biological dead end and cannot truly adapt to the ever changing environment, but still it is wise to save them. Pandas are part of our genetic pool and a biological resource, that sometime in the future, it will be discovered that enzymes in their system can be used so that humans can subsist solely in bamboos, er I mean leaves. Well you know what I mean, aside from being cute, pandas symbolize our personal commitment to nature even if they don't look useful now; who knows in the future, we might learn something from them.

dvl445
Garter
Garter

Post by dvl445 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:47 am

I think what also is being missed is the intrinsic value of a species such as a panda for a particular culture. In the Chinese culture the panda is a very important animal and it is part of china's (and the worlds) biological and cultural heritage. And while the ethical and economic cost of the maintenance of a species such as the panda may be high (which in the end is due to human recklessness) I do not think that it is fair to assess the value of a species without recognizing the intrinsic value of its existence from different perspectives.

I dunno just my humble opinion
:roll:
P.S.

I just joined this forum and LOVE IT!!!!

mkwaje
Coral
Coral

Post by mkwaje » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:49 pm

hi dvl445. welcome to the forum. I'm newbie too. Congrats on your first post; and you did it here. You're right about that; I totally forgot that pandas are important in Asian culture. Sometimes, we get too practical to notice other factors.