Does DNA encode for tRNA?

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:53 pm

@biohazard
lysine tRNA is encoded by the nuclear DNA, as opposed to all the others which are encoded in the mitochondrial genome. Also the two rRNA genes definitely need to come from the mitochondrial genome since they are very different (much smaller) than nuclear rRNAs.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Just showing that DNA is the template for alot more than just plain old mRNA, rRNA, and tRNA. But yes, I guess I got carried away.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Re: Does DNA encode for tRNA?

Post by JackBean » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:28 am

Yeah, it always end up with some miRNA :? :roll:
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

biohazard
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re:

Post by biohazard » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:49 am

MrMistery wrote:@biohazard
lysine tRNA is encoded by the nuclear DNA, as opposed to all the others which are encoded in the mitochondrial genome. Also the two rRNA genes definitely need to come from the mitochondrial genome since they are very different (much smaller) than nuclear rRNAs.

Thanks for the clarification. With rRNA that's basically what I also suspected, even though I didn't manage to find a confirmation for this when I quickly looked at it earlier. But what comes to lysine tRNA, that bit I did not know!