Fertilization of human egg by non-human sperm

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

jennil94
Garter
Garter

Fertilization of human egg by non-human sperm

Post by jennil94 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:17 pm

I know that as a general rule, another animal and a human being can't produce offspring. However, from my understanding, there is a little more to it than that. Theoretically speaking, sperm from a non-human animal can penetrate a human egg. What isn't clear to me is what happens after that point. What happens to the sperm and the egg? How far along the reproductive cycle do the combined cells go before they die?

The only answer I've found is that pregnancy isn't possible because the chromosomes won't match up. Forgive my ignorance, but I don't find that answer very enlightening or explanatory--even if it is ultimately true.

kolean
Coral
Coral

Post by kolean » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:15 am

There is alot to sperm entering an oocyte. First off is the layers that surround the oocyte. It is the first step in species specific sperm binding. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zona_pellucida

Keep going and you can find out alot about fertilization by going thru all the links.