Can someone tell me what this is please ?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

cliffwoodman
Garter
Garter

Can someone tell me what this is please ?

Post by cliffwoodman » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Hi all and may I introduce myself to the forum :)
I am a complete newbie and whilst I should have listened to my teachers at school I never !

I have only just started taking an interest in Biology and at the age of 46 I am finding it very difficult to learn the names and processes of things.

I was looking on YouTube and see people extracting there DNA by using salt, liquid detergent and Isopropyl alcohol. I thought i'd give this a go as I have just obtained a nice new microscope. I know there was no way I could actually see DNA but was just curious as to what I would see under the microscope.

Anyway to cut a long story short this is the picture I got. Can anyone explain to me what it actually is ??

Also any good books for beginners ??

Many thanks for reading, Cliff
dna.jpg

david23
Coral
Coral

Post by david23 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:09 am

give me your magnification, it will be a lot more reliable. I guess you didnt use any stains either. Get some stains too

cliffwoodman
Garter
Garter

Post by cliffwoodman » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks for replying David. No I didn't use any stains. Magnification is 400 x

I assume it is anyway ! It was with a 40x objective lens and the eyepiece was 10 x

Having said that the picture was taken with an internal ccd camera built into microscope. I just bought a 15x eyepiece so I can get 600x and what I see on the screen now represents what I see through the eyepiece now so It could be 600x

Thanks for replying :)

Sophyclese
Garter
Garter

Re: Can someone tell me what this is please ?

Post by Sophyclese » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:10 pm

You said you were separating DNA, so I can definietly say that the picture you took was part of DNA.

I CANNOT SAY FOR SURE, however, which part of DNA it is. It might be the DNA strand or the genne connectors (cytosine, guamine, etc.). The object that is shaped like a "Y" just right of the center might be the genne connector with a bit of the DNA strand still attached.

Please let me know if my response increased your understanding.
-Sophyclese
If you have further questions, please search for profile/send a message to Sophyclese.

JackBean
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by JackBean » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:17 pm

What is it genne connector?
http://www.biolib.cz/en/main/

Cis or trans? That's what matters.

worrellr
Garter
Garter

Re: Can someone tell me what this is please ?

Post by worrellr » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Definitely NOT DNA.
Impossible to "view" DNA with a light microscope.

-PhD Student (Genetics)-