Graduate School

Discuss topics related to other sciences, post news that you feel our community needs to hear about. Any interesting discussions about pretty much anything are also welcome.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

EmmVeePee
Coral
Coral

Graduate School

Post by EmmVeePee » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:42 am

Hey guys! I'm a long-time member, but I usually just lurk. I have a couple questions pertaining to a Statement of Purpose. I'm graduating this December (Microbiology, Minor Biochem/Molecular Bio), and I'm looking at Ph.D. programs, as well as a M.S. program for a backup (and PhD later).

I'm gathering my materials to apply to graduate school (Biochemistry/Microbiology/Molecular Biology), and I want to write an excellent Statement of Purpose, however I'm not quite sure what to put in it. I've tried to Google some statements, but I'm still not completely sure how to write it. Anytime I start writing one I don't know where to start. So for anyone here experienced with writing or reviewing SOPs; what makes one good, or stand out?

Thanks a lot,
Greg
Greg
Undergraduate, Microbiology
Pennsylvania State University

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 pm

I think you should shell out some money for books. It might be a good investment in the long run.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr