Question About Common Descent

Discussion of everything related to the Theory of Evolution.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bobc2
Garter
Garter

Question About Common Descent

Post by bobc2 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Could someone inform me about the status of common descent at the molecular level? In particular I would like to know if, from the study of biochemistry and evolution, it has been established that the various primative molecular life forms developed from a single sequence of chemical activities at one particular location on the earth.

Or, is it more commonly regarded by microbiologists and biochemists that those molecular life forms initially developed more or less simultaneously in a spontaneous manner at numerous separate sites around the earth. The implication in this case would be that the probability of the chance collection of atoms required to lead to the basic building block chemicals should be sufficient to expect those chemical reactions to have arisen at more than just one spot on the planet.

I haven't found any clarification on this point in any of the biology books available to me.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Considering the similarity between all organisms at the most basic molecular level, even when there are no reason for those (say the correspondance between codons and amino-acids) it is usually supposed that all current living organisms came from a unique source. This is implicit when you hear about LUCA (Last Unknown Common Ancestor).
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

robsabba
Coral
Coral

Re: Question About Common Descent

Post by robsabba » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:10 pm

bobc2 wrote:Could someone inform me about the status of common descent at the molecular level? In particular I would like to know if, from the study of biochemistry and evolution, it has been established that the various primative molecular life forms developed from a single sequence of chemical activities at one particular location on the earth.

Or, is it more commonly regarded by microbiologists and biochemists that those molecular life forms initially developed more or less simultaneously in a spontaneous manner at numerous separate sites around the earth. The implication in this case would be that the probability of the chance collection of atoms required to lead to the basic building block chemicals should be sufficient to expect those chemical reactions to have arisen at more than just one spot on the planet.

I haven't found any clarification on this point in any of the biology books available to me.

The evidence from phylogenetic analysis infers that the earliest organisms took part in a considerable amount of horizontal gene transfer. Therefore, it may not be possible to determine how many common ancestors there were during the very early part of life's history on earth.

bobc2
Garter
Garter

Post by bobc2 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:35 pm

Thanks for those comments, you guys. I appreciate it very much.

GaryGaulin
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by GaryGaulin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:19 am

bobc2 wrote:Could someone inform me about the status of common descent at the molecular level? In particular I would like to know if, from the study of biochemistry and evolution, it has been established that the various primative molecular life forms developed from a single sequence of chemical activities at one particular location on the earth.

In the link below I have been compiling and sorting out all that I can find that pertains to origins at the molecular level. There is also an Origin Of Life Aquarium experiment in case you want to attempt the self-organization of cellular organelles. Just please don't judge the theory by it's title.

http://theoryofid.blogspot.com/

bobc2
Garter
Garter

Post by bobc2 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:32 pm

Thanks a lot for your response, Gary. I Haven't seen that kind of treatment before. I did a quick review of your presentation and downloaded a copy so I can study it in detail. Looks like you are doing some impressive work there and I appreciate your effort and willingness to share.