glucose - glycolisis

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

glucose - glycolisis

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:58 am

Why the process of breaking down the glucose is called glycolysis, why it isnt called glucolysis?

Thanks

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:24 pm

We call it glycolysis because the glucose which is absorbed through villi inside the small intestine is transported to liver through VPH. and in the liver, glucose will form beta-chain to form Glycogen. When it's needed, glycogen will be hydrolysed and get in to the energy forming system...Because the first huge molecule is glycogen, then we call it glycolysis...hope this helps.
Q: Why are chemists great for solving problems?
A: They have all the solutions.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:37 pm

The affix 'glyco' refers to carbohydrate molecules. Glucose is one of carbohidrate monomer. Glycogen is the storage form of glucose.

The first step of generating energy is initialized by glycogenolysis, a process of degradation glycogen. It will remove a single glucose. The glucose then will be processed in glycolysis to convert it into pyruvic acid and energy.

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:30 pm

Dr.Stein wrote

The affix 'glyco' refers to carbohydrate molecules. Glucose is one of carbohidrate monomer.

According to that, every lysis of sugar (maltose, lactose, glucose, glykogen, starch) should be hyphotetical called as glycolysis as i understant to. Have i understood it right?

Victor wrote

Because the first huge molecule is glycogen, then we call it glycolysis

And what then about glycolysis in plants. The first molecule there is starch isnt it?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:52 pm

Sorry victor, but the idea that gycogen might be involved with the term glycolysis is simply absurd. All cells, even bacterial and arhea cells do glycolysis and archea has never heard of glycogen :lol: :lol:
@pedro21101
If the cell uses fructose, for example, instead of glucose the process is still called glycolysis. Starch, maltose, lactose and glycogen are disacharids and polisacharids that do go through this lysis process, they go through enzyme hidrolisation to form simple sugars(glucose, fructose, galactose etc)
Hope thigs are clear
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:32 pm

I didnt tell that starch, glykogen, maltose and lactose are monosacharids, i only formulate the question that way to find out if the lysis of di and polysacharids (to form simple sugars) is called glycolysis too. Thats all i wanted to know. Even from your post it is still not clear if this lysis is called glycolysis. You wrote
Starch, maltose, lactose and glycogen are disacharids and polisacharids that do go through this lysis process, they go through enzyme hidrolisation to form simple sugars
The words - do go through this lysis process - indicate that it is called glycolysis too, especially word this indicate it. It seems like you wanted to write - dont go.
Im not expert in lysis but Im expert in analysis!

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:49 am

Ow...looks like I was wrong bout that..thanks for the info :lol:

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:57 am

Let me add, hope it makes clearer.
Glycolysis is the term to a process which monosaccharide is lysed to produce energy, not only glucose buat whatever the monosaccharide is. That's why the name is not glucolysis or the lysis of glucose.
Disaccharides and polysaccharides will finally undergo glycolysis too but after being hydrolized into their monomers.
Thus, glycolysis will lyse all kind of carbohydrates, that's where the affix 'glyco' come from, directly for monosaccharides and indirectly to disaccharides and polysaccharides.

pedro21101
Garter
Garter

Post by pedro21101 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:15 pm

Thank you Dr. Stein. This is exactly what i needed to know. Thank you a lot.
So the lysis of polysacharids to a monosacharids happens by consuming a molecules of waters. And glycolysis is against it something completely different process.

victor
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by victor » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:22 pm

Not only glucose??it means that fructose and galactose can also?? I think galaktose need galaktase to change it to another isomer.....

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:29 pm

Fructose and Galactose is converted into Glucose to enter the process.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:03 am

"Glycolisis is not only the principal route for glucose metabolism leading to the production of acetyl-CoA and oxidation in the citric acid cycle, but it also provides the main pathway for the metabolism of fructose and galactose derived from the diet." - Peter A. Mayes, PhD, DSc in Harper's Biochemistry.

One more, spermatozoa prefer fructose for their main nutrient a lot rather than glucose, in which will provide energy for their motility. The process is glycolisis as well. Fructose is not converted into glucose prior to the process.