Converting to energy source- glycolysis etc..

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

xbri
Garter
Garter

Converting to energy source- glycolysis etc..

Post by xbri » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:06 pm

So here is what i know so far

glycolysis --> pyruvate oxidation --> citric acid cycle --> electron transport chain --> produces a total of 32 ATP

So here is what i am confused about. For plants, they go through photophosphorylation instead of the oxidative phosphorylation (electron transport chain) in which the photophosphorylation produces ATP and NADPH which is used in the Calvin cycle to produce carbohydrates...so how come plants produce carbohydrates for energy while the products of the electron transport chain is just ATP? Does the ATP from the electron transport chain get converted into carbohydrates also???

thanks

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm

you are a little confused. plants also carry out cellular respiration, which consists of glycolysis (which occurs in the cytosol of cells) and citric acid cycle + oxidative phosphorylation (which occur in the mitochondria of cells). Independently from this, plant cells also carry out photosynthesis, where water and carbon dioxide are converted into carbohydrates. Photophosphorylation is part of photosynthesis, and it is the step during which light energy is used to create ATP and NADPH. this ATP and NADPH will then be used in the Calvin-Bensen cycle to make the sugars

While you are learning these molecular processes, keep in mind the big picture: photosynthesis and cellular respiration are two completely separate processes and while the former occurs in all living cells, the later occurs only in plant cells.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter