what is the meaning of Chlorophyll a/ chorophyll b ratio in

Plants!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

bunnyonline
Garter
Garter

what is the meaning of Chlorophyll a/ chorophyll b ratio in

Post by bunnyonline » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 am

hi, could anyone tell me the physiological meaning of the ratio of Chlorophyll a/ Chlorophyll b in green algae?

Is there a normal range for this ratio or for the chlorophyll content in green algae?

many thanks in advance!

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:38 pm

see absorption spectrum
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:03 pm

actually the chl a/chl b ratio is a ratio that tells you how much light the plant has been exposed too. If a plant is in the dark, it will want to make more chlorophyll so it can capture more of the scarce sunlight. Because of how a photosystem looks like (chl a in the middle, chl b at the periphery), the plant can only increase the amount of chl b (there is no way to throw some molecules in the middle of the photosystem). So as it accumulates more chl b, the ratio drops.

I am sure that each species has its own preferred ratio (for when light is plentiful), but this ratio is definitely dynamic. So no, I don't think there is a "normal" ratio for all green algae
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter