interferon

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:32 pm

Non-specific immune response includes all reactions conducted by all immunocompetent cells but not lymphocytes and all their subsets and their products. When lymphocytes starts to contribute, then it will lead to specific immune response :wink:

Andrew: Don't worry, we cannot understand all things :wink:

AMF8
Garter
Garter

Post by AMF8 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:41 pm

Isn't specific immune response all of the things that our body does in reaction to the viral anitgens?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:16 pm

@Dr.Stein
We do if we want the IBO gold...
@No
Specific immune response is imunoglobulines... A specific one only reacts to a specific virus
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:19 am

interferon is that IFN is a kind of cytokine produced by virus-infected cells, or other intracellular infection. It is used to attrack effector T-cells, especially CD8+ or CTL to kill those cells. Furthermore, it acts to prevent further spreading of the infection.

Considering this, do you think interferon could be used against tumoral cells?:?

Thanks

protozoan
Death Adder
Death Adder

Post by protozoan » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:48 am

T-cells are also immune specific response...
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. (Sherlock Holmes)

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:54 am

MrMistery wrote:@No
Specific immune response is imunoglobulines... A specific one only reacts to a specific virus

Just a little correction:

1. Specific immune response is NOT only via immunoglobulins, it is a humoral immune response generated by B cells, but also including cytotoxic activities generated by T cells as a cell-mediated immune response. Some subsets of T cell also help B cell to differentiate into plasma cells that secrete immunoglobulins and memory cells. That's the interconnection between B cell and T cell besides B cells act as APC to present antigens to T cells

2. Specific immune response is NOT only for virus, but also any kinds of pathogens, to be precise any self- and nonself-antigens. But, one effector cells only for one antigen, similar to enzyme mechanism: one enzyme - one substrate.

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:59 am

iri_black wrote:
interferon is that IFN is a kind of cytokine produced by virus-infected cells, or other intracellular infection. It is used to attrack effector T-cells, especially CD8+ or CTL to kill those cells. Furthermore, it acts to prevent further spreading of the infection.

Considering this, do you think interferon could be used against tumoral cells?:?

Thanks

Of course, that's one of their purposes. But still, there is an exception here and there, that sometimes tumor cells produce something to "cover" their environment so IFN will not work to eliminate them. Awww... But, we can make it someday :?

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:20 am

Of course, that's one of their purposes. But still, there is an exception here and there, that sometimes tumor cells produce something to "cover" their environment so IFN will not work to eliminate them.

Do we know how that "cover" works? My first thought was that it's something in the membrane of tumoral cells. Or should I dig deeper?

imennajjar
Garter
Garter

immuno, chem, biochem...

Post by imennajjar » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:01 am

Hi,

I am PTHD student and my project is a meeting of molecular biology, protein biochemestry and immunology. I think that these fiels are very closed and we can't dissociat them from each others.
About IFNs, they are cytokines (so proteins), they are secreted by cells of our defence system (immunity) like B cells, T cells, neutrophles, macrophages... They are clue of the adaptative immunity.
if you want more informations, I will be here and I can send you good reference of reviews.
I hope I was helpful.
A bientôt

Dr.Stein
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by Dr.Stein » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:15 pm

Hello imennajjar, nice to mett you. I am into Immunology, to be precise Immunobiology, lately. I hope we can talk much thing about that in here. Thank you.

About the covering of IFN, uhm... I need to open my book first eehehee :oops: :roll: This information is quite new for me, since I got this from an Immunology course few months ago. I'll post it later ok? :wink:

iri_black
Coral
Coral

Post by iri_black » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:56 pm

Ok, thank you very much. :)
I have just discovered this site. It was my lucky day I guess, there's so much to learn... :shock: :o :D

AMF8
Garter
Garter

Post by AMF8 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 6:01 am

arent specific virus's only distinguishable by our immune system because the body recognizes its antigen?