Dont understand what being asked to do?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

lindyloo03
Garter
Garter

Dont understand what being asked to do?

Post by lindyloo03 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi,

I am new to this site as I have just enrolled into Senior Biology to get into the course I want at Uni. Unfortunately I never did any sort of science at school, well I went to class but that was it. I feel kinda stupid struggling with senior biology :oops:

Draw up the plan for an essay on the structure and function of cellular Structures.

From what I can feel he is not asking for an essay just the plan of what I would put into the essay??? Does that mean he wants me to say in the intro I would mention ..... and in the body I would talk about..... and I would conclude with...... or does he want notes of what I want to put in.

Not sure what this question means??? and how I am supposed to do it??? :oops:

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

Linda
Mother to 4
Studying Senior Biology by correspondence to get into Uni for Midwifery

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:35 pm

ask your teacher?
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr

lindyloo03
Garter
Garter

Re: Dont understand what being asked to do?

Post by lindyloo03 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:06 pm

I am learning by correspondence so making it much harder.

I have to email him and wait for a response so was hoping I could get some help on here too.

sorry if this is the wrong place to ask :shock:

jonmoulton
Viper
Viper

Re: Dont understand what being asked to do?

Post by jonmoulton » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:48 pm

Hi Lindyloo,

I think you are on track. It sounds like your instructor is looking for an essay outline. You could add an outline of how you think you should go about researching the project (e.g. what sources to use). You might discuss use of graphics, inclusion of references and a plan for their format and how to refer to the references in the text. Specify the target audience for whom you are writing (written for instructor, written for a high school bio class, written for an interested audience of lay people, etc.) and how you will make the essay appropriate for your chosen audience. Laying out the structure of the essay could be done in many different ways. For instance, you might assign one section for each organelle or cellular structure with appropriate names for the sections, subheadings within each section to describe points like major components of structure, cellular function, evolutionary origin -- choose where you think it would be interesting to take this.

In the other hand, you could just ask your instructor. I think it would be more fun, more work and a better learning experience to just tackle the project. Hopefully you can revise it later if your instructor says "that's not what I meant..."