phagocytic cells

Discuss topics related to other sciences, post news that you feel our community needs to hear about. Any interesting discussions about pretty much anything are also welcome.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

tamm0449

phagocytic cells

Post by tamm0449 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 pm

I am researching a new product called Meta-Crill. It is being injected into peoples lips to plump them up. The article that I read about it says that it phagocytizes cells and bacteria. Will it destroy the white blood cells that are in the lip and do you feel that it might eventually cause injury to the inside of the lip thereby having to be removed at some time? Is this a safe product to inject into your lips for permanent use to keep your lips plump? I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this product and what it does to a person's body, particuarly the lips. Thank you for your time. tamm0449

jyaron
Garter
Garter

Post by jyaron » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 pm

From the bit of research that I did on the product I understand that Meta-Crill is essentially composed of small beads (similar in composition to glass or acrylic) that are injected into the lips to induce collagen production and general volume increase.

I think you misunderstood when it says that it phagocytizes. This would require that the substance be alive and able to carry out a complex function as such. From my reading I found that the beads are incapable of being phagocytized. This basically means that it won't be reduced by the living cells and organisms in your body (and is thus permanent).

The product is biologically inert and won't be absorbed, also adding to the permanence.

I don't necessarily think that it's dangerous at all; whether or not it's necessary is another question.
Experience: Cell Biology, Confocal Microscopy, Developmental Biology, Evolutionary Biology, Genetics, Genomics, Physiology

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Re: phagocytic cells

Post by AstusAleator » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:11 am

Just from reading what the product's website has to say, I'd agree with Jyaron.

The website says that it's not painful - but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some irritation, itching, and more-than-normal swelling involved.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

MichaelXY
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by MichaelXY » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 am

Why do people think they need plump lips to be attractive? I question putting anything into my body that has not been validated by the FDA.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:37 am

FDA do not validate food, but they will soon regulate cigarettes, if I agree with you, I do not think your benchmark is the best :)
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)

mith
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by mith » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:46 pm

hehe, reminds me my friend was selling some sorta FDA approved drug this summer before it got pulled for some health reason.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
~Niebuhr