product-vs-time experiment of amylase

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

NewtoBiology
Garter
Garter

product-vs-time experiment of amylase

Post by NewtoBiology » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:24 pm

Hello Biologists,

I was working with new enzymes (well new to me) today in a biochemistry lab and had to determine the velocity of the reaction for three different substrate conditions. Generally, when I plot the graphs, there are 3 different lines, corresponding to the different concentrations. However today when I plotted my results for product-vs-time the curve was the same for all three concentrations.

Have I done something wrong? What can I conclude about the conditions of my reaction?
I truly hope that this isn't a silly question, however it truly has me stumped!

Thank you for your time

Newtobiology

blcr11
Viper
Viper

Post by blcr11 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Any chance you made a mistake with the substrate (or possibly the enzyme) concentration and you are saturating the enzyme at all substrate levels?

NewtoBiology
Garter
Garter

Post by NewtoBiology » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 am

No, I just emailed my professor and he replied stated that those are the correct results. So now I am doubley as stumped..

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:50 am

if i were to guess (and this is a guess) i would say you have too much substrate in your reaction. Because your reaction speed is limited by the amount of enzyme, not the amount of substrate, adding more substrate doesn't make a difference (essentially I'm agreeing with blcr11)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter