Spider Identification - Please Help!

Animals!

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

ItamashiiSparkle
Garter
Garter

Spider Identification - Please Help!

Post by ItamashiiSparkle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:36 pm

Got into work yesterday and this little guy followed me to my desk. I scooped him up into a beaker so I could try and figure out what sort of spider he was, as he doesn't look like any of the more familiar sorts.

I live in south-east Michigan, so I first checked for the truly dangerous suspects, but he is definitely not a black widow and was almost black, the totally wrong color for a brown recluse or hobo spider.

I'd have said wolf spider based on size, but his front two legs are much longer than his back two, and all his legs were too spindly. The markings on his back don't speak of wolf spider, either. I thought, maybe some sort of crab spider, but I couldn't find any that matched his almost black color.

In short, I'm kind of at a loss. Any help or suggestions you guys could give would be appreciated!

javamonger
Garter
Garter

Post by javamonger » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:19 am

looks like a grass spider, but I am not an expert. I have about a thousand grass spiders in my back yard in florida. I would google it and try to ID it that way. Usually they are very shy, and are not considered dangerous at all unless someone has an allergy to their bite. I believe they are a type of funnel spider.

A great resource I use is whatsthatbug.com

Zach
Garter
Garter

Re: Spider Identification - Please Help!

Post by Zach » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:01 pm

What you have found are often referred to as grass spiders, garden spiders, or sometime cat spiders or are confused with true orb weavers. It is undoubtedly some type of Araneus species. A common and widespread taxon of the US and definitely harmless.

thanks for sharing