is scientific determinism "wrong"?

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

charles brough
Coral
Coral

is scientific determinism "wrong"?

Post by charles brough » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 am

What do you think about this explanation of scientific determinism?

DETERMINISM: the principle that all change is the result of natural (not “spirit”) cause and effect and that there is no such thing as “a miracle,” and that “Chaos,” “chance/luck,” “free will,” “random,” and “quantum physics,” are all terms that only describe phenomenon which we are not, as yet, able to find the cause and effect involved. It is arrogant to assume that whatever we cannot explain will be forever unexplainable!

charles
Brough,
civilization-overview (dot) com

Jesse2504
Garter
Garter

Re: is scientific determinism "wrong"?

Post by Jesse2504 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:00 pm

I do agree that things such as religion and luck etc are just explanations to help the brain cope with the unknown. Quantum physics is a subject that is applicable, but is not known in its entirety, as all science is.

I believe there is a section on determinism in Steven Hawkins "Brief History of Time"
Jesse

I spit in the mouth of a god, who whispers in the minds of the children

"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is at all comprehensible" - Albert Einstein.

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:47 am

There will always be a limit to what we are able to learn about the universe, so even if naturalistic determinism is correct, chances are we will never know it. Thus there will always be room for other interpretations.
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count

AstusAleator
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by AstusAleator » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:31 am

I'd tentatively agree with most of what you said, except for this.
charles brough wrote:It is arrogant to assume that whatever we cannot explain will be forever unexplainable!

Arrogance seems a bit of a strong word for the average person. We must all live with certain assumptions. A prominent scientist, on the other hand, could be considered arrogant by making such an assumption.

PS: Good to see you back around here charles. I think you should get to know gamila. You two would get along great.
What did the parasitic Candiru fish say when it finally found a host? - - "Urethra!!"

alextemplet
King Cobra
King Cobra

Post by alextemplet » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:10 am

AstusAleator wrote:PS: Good to see you back around here charles. I think you should get to know gamila. You two would get along great.

Oh wow, would that be a discussion worth watching! :twisted:
Generally speaking, the more people talk about "being saved," the further away they actually are from true salvation.

~Alex
#2 Total Post Count