malaria- sickle cell

About microscopic forms of life, including Bacteria, Archea, protozoans, algae and fungi. Topics relating to viruses, viroids and prions also belong here.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

michyd
Garter
Garter

malaria- sickle cell

Post by michyd » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:50 am

Hello! i'm doing some work the protective effects of sickle cell on malaria. I know sickle cell trait provides a better protection for malaria. BUT is it for mild malaria (uncomplicated) or for severe malaria (complicated).

Ive been told this:

sickle cell trait provides protective immunity against mild malaria and rarely severe malaria as individual are more likely to get a severe form of malaria as the spleens already damaged by sickle cell disease.

Is it true????

xxxx :mrgreen:

merisalam
Garter
Garter

Re: malaria- sickle cell

Post by merisalam » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:40 am

Which type of anti-Malaria tablets work best with the least number of side affects yada yada? I am going to Indonesia this year on a trip with university and will be needing anti-Malaria tablets and was wondering which ones were best? I have talked to some people that say the most expensive are my best bet. Some of my friends have had anti-Malaria tablets before and suffered sickness and an aversion to sunlight, I'm not sure which ones they took though. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Last edited by merisalam on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

canalon
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by canalon » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:27 pm

Talk with a doctor in a travel clinic they should know:
- side effects of the different antimalarial drugs
- prevalence of the resistance in the area you are planning to travel to.

and be able to advise accordingly. Best protection is to prevent mosquito bite though, so pack DEET repellents, net and learn about good clothing protection and take necessary precautions.
Patrick

Science has proof without any certainty. Creationists have certainty without
any proof. (Ashley Montague)