My First Post.

Debate and discussion of any biological questions not pertaining to a particular topic.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

iamwill
Garter
Garter

My First Post.

Post by iamwill » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:09 pm

[b]“The policy on this forum about homework seems to need clarification:

If you did not research before you ask your question there will be no answer, but sarcasm and maybe warnings. Nobody learn by copying an answer from the net without thinking about it. Besides, who knows how knowledgeable is the person answering your post is?
On the other hand, we will gladly help if you have problems because your research (from the internet or your text book, the important is not wher it comes from, but that you have done some research) only lead to unclear/ambiguous/conflicting answers. We will discuss, argue, look for sources and guide you in the way.
But the onus is on you to prove that you did some research. Something as simple as " I think the answer is...(because.., am I right?) OR (but I have doubts because...)" or "I found this and that and that does not really make sense..." is enough”.
[/b]

This is my first post. Concerning the homework assignment, I am not a student. I am 60 years old and common sense is my major. I am still learning. In the sciences there seems to be a right of passage disallowing any offering from what it deems the “peanut gallery”. That is we non-scientists who have no choice but to trust the truths you manifest to have establish; and we are the recipients of your amazing discoveries and the victims of your errors of which you will profess to have none. (In many cases) Science is not 100% accurate empirically, as it seems to think “almost” counts, such as the science of evolution. Often the damage that is done is found long after the discovery is manifest as true. Common sense to me requires no internet links to verify it’s authenticity. It should be common to all, hence the word common. I came here because of the fascinating discussion that is currently going on concerning the disproving of national selection. At least as it relates to how science defines the word.

In my encounters with other scientists on forums such as this or in emails I have sent, I am regarded as a leper and tossed off into a bin marked refuge as if my opinion doesn’t count for I have no credentials on the wall to show how intelligent I am. I will agree we do live in different worlds, the peanut gallery and academia. The only factor that separates us is the grades we receive. You are required to make A’s, or so you hope, and will cling to that which, in the eyes of your scholars, deem truth without relying on your common sense. Please allow me to Kibbitz.

I will not be able to communicate with you on your level for I do not, in many cases understand your language which I think also serves as right of passage that sequesters you from someone like me. Without common sense the most brilliant manifestations of science will fall into the wrong hands and create weapons like the Atom bomb, for instance; or the fetal research that was being done that led to legalizing abortions. Often gifted scientists are sequestered in different rooms by it’s financial benefactor to serve as individual mechanisms to produce a result known to none of them individually. A common practice being done by those who provide the funds that allow you to use those beautiful minds for nefarious reasons. Thank you for allowing me into your sanctuary. Rest assured I will only post with finesse and courtesy. I will not respond to condescension in any way whatsoever. These are my rules and I live by them. If they are acceptable to you, then I am grateful to be among you. If not, let’s end it here.
Sincerely,
iamwill
(Actually my name is william, but unfortunately that is already taken.