Cell respiration alternative fuels?

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

emmalane
Garter
Garter

Cell respiration alternative fuels?

Post by emmalane » Tue May 05, 2009 7:06 pm

so I'm having a terrible time trying to answer this question on a biology assignment. Please help me. Thank you.

Briefly explain how a cell can use the same machinery to utilize protein and fat for fuel as it does for glucose. What must happen to the protein and fat molecules before they can be oxidized?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue May 05, 2009 11:57 pm

that's a stupid question. the cell doesn't use the same machinery for all nutrients. It uses parts of the same machinery, but extra enzymes are needed to utilize non-sugar fuels.
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Jesse2504
Garter
Garter

Post by Jesse2504 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:21 am

I agree with Mr Mistery,

Fats are broken down into their constituents - fatty acids and glycerol then sent to respective parts of the respiration process, although further processing by enzymes must occur before.

Proteins are broken down into their constituents - amino acids, which are further processed to feed into the respiration process

Basically
low entropy high free energy > high entropy low free energy + energy
Jesse

I spit in the mouth of a god, who whispers in the minds of the children

"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is at all comprehensible" - Albert Einstein.