tRNA and anti-sense

Discussion of all aspects of biological molecules, biochemical processes and laboratory procedures in the field.

Moderators: Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

seders99
Garter
Garter

tRNA and anti-sense

Post by seders99 » Sat May 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Here is the problem:

Using the following amino acid sequence, provide the tRNA molecules that were used for its translation and the anti-sense strand of the DNA. Be sure to include polarity of all items....

Ok I have the final products but am confused about the polarity part? What does that mean? It isn't talked about in my book.

Any advice??

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun May 03, 2009 3:05 am

you must have a really crappy book. It's referring to the way transcription and translation take place (5'->3' or 3'->5'?)
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

seders99
Garter
Garter

Re: tRNA and anti-sense

Post by seders99 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:39 am

yes it is a REALLY crappy book. basically gives outlines. its a revised version of the actual book. which means its only certain chapters. so it goes from like ch 5-23. crazy.

so when it asks to include the polarity, what is it asking. tell which end of the strand is 5 and which is 3?

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Sun May 03, 2009 1:56 pm

well transcription and translation are dynamic processes, the polymerase and the ribosome move on the nucleic acid strand in a certain direction. what direction (from where to where)?
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter