Krebs Cycle

Discussion of all aspects of cellular structure, physiology and communication.

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

chrisjackson2009
Garter
Garter

Krebs Cycle

Post by chrisjackson2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:11 am

Hey all,

This is my first post, so I'm new to this place.

I'm currently studying Preclinical Human Biology at Curtin University in Western Australia. I'm in my first year and am having trouble getting a grasp of the Krebs Cycle/Citric Acid Cycle.

If anyone knows of any helpful links, or they can give me an understandable breakdown of this process that would be great.

Thanks,

Chris.

JorgeLobo
Coral
Coral

Re: Krebs Cycle

Post by JorgeLobo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:47 am

Chris:

Can you be more specific about the challenging part?

chrisjackson2009
Garter
Garter

Post by chrisjackson2009 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 pm

It's not really a certain part.

I'm looking for an explanation of it. There must be one a bit simpler than the textbook I have.
I just need to explain it in class, so was wondering if anyone knew of a good site/suggestion of the whole process.

Chris.

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Post by Darwin420 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:39 am

Ok well here is a useful tip...before you look at all the products and reactants of the Kreb's cycle and get confused....ask yourself this:

Why does a cell undergo a metabolic process such as the Kreb Cycle? What is the purpose of this cycle? Does it produce energy for the use of the plant?

Once you ask yourself this and see the bigger, it is WAY easier to learn the other details (such as the product names and such).

If you can't answer these questions then message back and I will help...but trust me....learning this stuff doesn't have to be complicated!! Don't let all the names of the products and such confuse you and deter you from seeing the big picture!!

chrisjackson2009
Garter
Garter

Post by chrisjackson2009 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:14 am

Thank you for your answer. I haven't had a chance to look back on it.
I've acutally been in/out of emergency/hospital with severe ear infection.
So now I'm behind at university, playing catch up.

I'll look at it the way you suggested. Nothing really could deter me from figuring it out, it's all interesting/amazing stuff.

Darwin420
Coral
Coral

Post by Darwin420 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:11 pm

no prob..I see I started talking about plants..don't mind that, that was my mind fixated on plant bio because I had a plant bio test that day lol.

aseth
Garter
Garter

Post by aseth » Sun May 03, 2009 3:08 am

Kreb cycle is the second part of whole process of producing energy for the cell. The cycle produces nadph and fadh which are used in the the 3rd part oxidative phosphorylation in mitochondria where H ions are pumped out to provide enough energy to phosphorylate ADP to ATP. Kreb cycle just takes in the products of glycolysis and spin it around in various different chemical structures to manipulate to form things require in the oxidative phosoprylation.