Mushroom Cultivation

Plants!

Moderators: honeev, Leonid, amiradm, BioTeam

Zachthemac
Garter
Garter

Mushroom Cultivation

Post by Zachthemac » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:36 pm

I know mushrooms aren't plants, but I didn't know a better forum to put this in.

I was wondering, how are the mushrooms you buy in the grocery store are cultivated? I mean do "mushroom farmers" plant fields of mushrooms? And with what since fungi don't have seeds?

ERS
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by ERS » Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:33 pm

Fungi have spores. Mushrooms are cultivated indoors in soil 'boxes' or beds. The soil required is not very deep, so the mushroom farmers can stack trays of growing mushrooms on top of each other, with a little space for air and some light.

here is a cool link for more info: http://www.mushroomadventures.com/commercial.html

hope that helps
ERS

Zachthemac
Garter
Garter

Post by Zachthemac » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:41 pm

Thanks....that explained it.

Betsy
Garter
Garter

Post by Betsy » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:08 am

If you're interested, you can do a google search and find kits to grow your own.

Betsy

anandemide
Garter
Garter

Re: Mushroom Cultivation

Post by anandemide » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:29 pm

heya!

Zachthemac wrote:I know mushrooms aren't plants, but I didn't know a better forum to put this in.

:lol: for long years most of the scientists also didnt know one to put them in!

mushrooms are strange forms of life and its really fun to cultivate them. the growth speed is too fast and the life cycle is short so one can have great observations while growing them. nothing is needed except a nice medium with needed nutrients and high humidity. its so cheap to grow them but the market price for edible mushrooms are not, so we have even mafia cultivators here in turkey. :? anyway, u can do it by yourself indoor or outdoors. but the most important thing is the sterility while growing indoors cos other microorganisms growing in your chamber may be really dangerous, even fatal.
so check out the grow guides well before doing anything or better find someone who has experience. as a golden rule, NEVER eat any mushroom if u r not familiar with it.

stay safe & happy

... One Who Plants A Garden Plants Happiness ...
Attachments
fairy-longday.jpg
fairy-longday.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 4241 times

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:24 pm

so we have even mafia cultivators here in turkey

Really? I didn't know we had.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

MrMistery
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by MrMistery » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:41 pm

I like the picture.
Although today we don't consider fungus and algae plants, they are still studied at botany... At least in my country
"As a biologist, I firmly believe that when you're dead, you're dead. Except for what you live behind in history. That's the only afterlife" - J. Craig Venter

Poison
Inland Taipan
Inland Taipan

Post by Poison » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:10 pm

Yes, here too.
It matters not how strait the gate
How charged with punishment the scroll
I am the Master of my fate
I am the Captain of my soul.

anandemide
Garter
Garter

Post by anandemide » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:07 pm

poison : its unfortunately true. one of my friends who studied agriculture engineering decided to start a business on shrooms but "some people" didnt let him (in ankara though, i dont know about other cities) this business is easy, cheap and the total yield is huge. and as u know, the mushroom prices are racing with meat. so instead of dealing with cows, its better to play with shroooms.

and one more thing, i've been knowing that mushrooms contain great amount of protein. its a general false belief. nearly %90 of a mushroom is water and only B vitamins are high in conc. in the rest. So edible muhsrooms are recommended especially for people on diet.

stay safe & happy

... One Who Plants A Garden Plants Happiness ...